Tuesday, February 13, 2018

US Senator Joe Donnelly on Immigration, Hiding Behind 2013 Immigration Disaster


February 12, 2018
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about our nation's immigration policies. Like all Hoosiers, I believe citizenship is a privilege, and I have long argued that effective immigration reform requires strong borders, strict laws that punish those who break the rules, and a tough and fair process for those who want to earn the opportunity for citizenship.
During the 113th Congress, I supported the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act because this comprehensive, bipartisan legislation would have created a practical policy that secures our borders and holds accountable those who have broken the law. Despite Senate passage of this legislation by a vote of 68-32, the House of Representatives did not consider the bill. Neither the House nor the Senate have considered any comprehensive immigration reform measures since 2013. 
Since his inauguration, President Trump has signed multiple immigration-related executive orders, including an order to begin construction of a wall on our border with Mexico and two orders directing suspension of refugee resettlement for 120 days and restriction of individuals from certain countries from traveling to the United States for 90 days. Additional executive orders have authorized federal agencies to detain and deport more immigrants and increased the number of people subject to expedited removal. Implementation of some of these orders is pending. For example, Congress must appropriate the funds for the border wall, and the executive orders concerning refugees and travelers from certain countries continue to be the subject of litigation in federal court.
As your Senator, I remain committed to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address immigration reform in a bipartisan manner. Should relevant legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind. 

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website. Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate.








No comments:

Post a Comment