Saturday, February 10, 2018

The People vs. Arthur Schaper--Downey Courthouse Update

                                 

Hey everyone.

I am giving everyone a full update regarding my criminal trial at Downey Court House.

In an unexpected turn, I was assigned to another public defender because of structural staffing changes within the Downey office.

Then on the day of the February 9th, 2018 pre-trial hearing, the new defender told me that another conflict of interest was found, so I had to wait for a bar panel attorney.

I ended up waiting in Department 4 for nearly four hours. Finally, my attorney arrived, ready to handle my case.

I am still pleading not guilty, and I am not accepting any plea deals. What the Huntington Park city council and the police department did to me was wrong, corrupt, and vile.

We are going to have our day in court.

I must say, there is some joy in knowing that I can go to a criminal court hearing and not feel stressed or fearful. Gary "Grindall61" Gileno knows what this process can be like. Now that his case continues to be postponed and continued, I am getting a similar taste of how slow the wheels of justice really move in Los Angeles County.

The presiding judicial officer, Commissioner May Santos, was prepared to go through arraignments and plea deals, but the whole calendar was suddenly disrupted by a de novo small claims hearing. That set back her calender by about 45 minutes.

Oh well. These sudden changes in court business are more common than most people realize. I served as an intern with the Orange County public defenders office a number of years ago. These setbacks happen all too often.

It was astonishing to me how many people showed up who were supposed to have proof of completion and restitution as part of plea deals which they had taken to avoid jail times. One young man had taken off two years and not completed any community labor requirements or restitution! I could not believe the massive amounts of leniency from the judicial officer.

I imagine that judges do not remand a number of defendants out on probation because there is simply no room for them in the county jails. The state's fiscal predicaments are so dire, that courts have been closed throughout the state, and in some countries there are long lines and continuances upon continuances for low-level crimes.

I get arrested just for sitting in a city council meeting, so it's no surprise that courts are pushing back trial hearings over and over. This is beyond ridiculous. I am urging that my new attorney file a motion to dismiss as soon as possible. This corrupt action from the Huntington Park City Council and Police Department is beyond ludicrous, and a full determination for our corrupt the leadership in the city has become. 

Here are my final remarks showcased on Grindall61's channel:


No comments:

Post a Comment