Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Vermont's Republican Governor Blocks All Tax Increases in Budget--First on Record


Now this is really amazing.

For the first time on record--in recent memory--the state of Vermont passed a budget which did not have a tax increase.

The legislation also negotiated for better management of the teachers' health insurance plans and placed in command more efficiencies.

This is what Republicans do, and this is what conservative governance looks like:

Greetings,
First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for your help and generosity throughout the last campaign. It’s because of your support that I’m writing to you now as Vermont’s 82nd Governor. It’s a role I’m proud and honored to serve in, and one that gives all of us tremendous opportunities to make Vermont stronger.

While I’ve only been in office eight months, many of those opportunities are starting to come to fruition.

As promised throughout the campaign, my administration is concentrated on growing the economy, making Vermont more affordable, and protecting the most vulnerable. Those three principles guide us in everything we do. To make good on that promise, I’m proud to have presented, fought for and signed a historic budget that does not raise a single tax or fee. This is the first time this has been done that we can find on record!

But it didn’t come easy. Initially, the majority in the legislature  passed a budget that would have raised property taxes AND ignored my proposal to save millions of dollars by changing the way teachers’ health care benefits are handled.

I vetoed that budget bill because I knew we could do better for all Vermonters. And we did!

The final budget I signed on June 28 ensures property tax rates do not increase for the first time in recent memory, saves $13 million over the next two years by restructuring teachers’ health care benefit plans, and provides a path to achieve greater efficiency, and more savings, in the future.

We are working to restore fiscal responsibility in Montpelier, and helping families get ahead, by insisting state spending doesn’t grow faster than the economy or wages. And I will continue to fight to make Vermont more affordable and run a state government which lives within its means.

Governor Phil Scott (R-Vermont)

In addition to a historic budget that doesn’t raise taxes or fees, we are also prioritizing investments in pro-growth areas like job training and secured a $35 million dollar housing package that will employ hundreds of workers and generate $50 million in wages in the construction of more than 500 housing units -- and help make homes more affordable for middle income households.

My budget also invested in early care and learning, and higher education -- an important step toward a cradle-to-career continuum of learning that will attract more jobs and more working families who want to raise their children in the nation’s safest and healthiest state.

We are also changing the culture in State Government by listening to those on the front lines, and we’re making some exciting headway in terms of innovating state government to make it more efficient, productive and valuable to you. During my first week in office, I issued three Executive Orders. The first created an Agency of Digital Services, a single entity to better manage state IT projects. The second combined the Lottery Commission and the Department of Liquor Control (the legislature slowed this merger, but I’m confident we’ll get this in 2018). The third order would have unified the Agency of Commerce and Community Development with the Department of Labor -- literally putting the people who help create jobs next to the people who help Vermonters find jobs. Unfortunately, this too was blocked by the legislature, but it’s an idea that continues to be discussed in the State House.

Over the next several months, I will remain laser-focused on making state government work better for you. Every Tuesday morning when I convene my cabinet, I always remind them we’re public servants, we’re here to serve and follow through on our commitment to grow the economy, make Vermont more affordable  and protect the most vulnerable. And we’ll continue to think this way, because it’s what Vermonters deserve and expect from their state government.

I’m proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish just 8 months into the job, but there is much more work to do. Everything I’ve proposed cannot happen overnight, which is why I need your help to ensure I have another term to get this work done.

Can I count on you to donate $100, $250, $500, $1000 or any amount you are comfortable with up to $4,000?

I can’t thank you enough for the support and encouragement you’ve shown me over the years. Please don’t hesitate to reach out; I’m always willing to listen.

Sincerely,


Phil Scott
Governor

Final Reflection

Blue state Republicans can make a difference if they focus on basic issues. As long as they keep their promises to make key states affordable, to lower the costs of living and allow the voters to keep more of their money, then they have nothing to worry about!

No comments:

Post a Comment