Thursday, September 3, 2015

WaPo Moral Insanity: My Poor, Black, Transgender Child!

The Washington Post has gone from left-wing hatred for conservatives to endorsing moral insanity. I did not know whether to laugh or cry, whether to pull back from the world or pull the covers over my eyes when I read the following headline:
Black, transgender, and an adult child. Why not add disabled and transracial? It worked for Shaun King (or did it?).
Louis Porter II, an educator from Minneapolis who wrote the above, sounds just as confused as the child he was supposed to raise:

Louis Porter II
Even when my child was an infant, I had a premonition that our precious baby girl was going to throw some curveballs our way. Something in this long-awaited baby’s spirit let me know that a wild ride was ahead for my wife and me.
So, several years ago when my then-middle school kid came out as queer, I was caught off guard, but it was news I could handle.
“My then middle-school kid came out as queer.” First of all, among homosexual activists, “queer” is a pejorative term. Ironically, though, the Q word is accurate, because there is nothing weirder than parents acquiescing to every thought and feeling of their children, and calling that statement love and respect. Middle schools kids are some of the most confused people out there, constantly trying to figure out right and wrong, and now they world tells them that neither exists.
I know, I was one (a middle schooler, not a boy trying to be a girl).
Porter adds another layer to this identity-crisis drama:
But I was beyond shocked when a few years later, this high-school child announced “they” were transgender and planned to live life as a male. Many transgender children display characteristics of the opposite sex very early, but this was not the case for our child, whom a family friend once described as “all girl.”
Porter’s child is not queer, not a boy trapped in a girl’s body, but a very confused if not schizophrenic person. “They” are transgender. Huh?
The deepest fear I have ever known welled up in my gut. There was no laughing at society frills; I worried what the larger society would do to my child.
What society will do? Society does not do anything, Louis. People do things, and more people are waking up to the tragic reality that psychology disturbances cannot be fixed with botox, implants, or gender reassignment.
Zeam identifies as masculine, I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of transgender women murdered this year — 20 that we know of — most of them black.
I have to ask: Can Porter really call the victims “transgender women”? How do we know what they are? Were they men who tried to become women, or vice versa? Help me out here!
Meanwhile, the media has exploded with reports of two trans celebrities: one black, Laverne Cox; the other white, Caitlyn Jenner.
Celebrities have “come out” as another gender before (Chastity become Chazz Bono, for example). What makes these confused individuals stand out national is the current Occupant in the White House, who has paraded the transgender cause from executive orders to State of the Union addresses. Male and female are natural orders of life, and the notion that verbal distortions or surgical perversions can change that is an affront and assault on reality.
Blacks who are transgender endure the toughest challenges.
Are you sure that your daughter, son, whatever is actually black, too, Louis?
How do we face our fear? Zeam is our inspiration.
How is a young adult who is confused about her (yes, her!) gender an inspiration to anyone? Someone please explain this to me.
Zeam is part of a generation that evokes the spirit of the 1960s, organizing and protesting with an energy that leaves me in awe. But especially for a black transgender youth, speaking out comes at a price. Words, attitudes and actions of other young people and adults can be cruel — yet Zeam continues to soar.
Ah yes, the 1960s, when young entitled children took to the streets and threw their politicized temper tantrums turned violent demonstrations. The political and sexual revolutions of then have created the moral and cultural devolutions now. Occupy crowds crowd jail cells, and we are witnessing the full bore consequences of  men and women trying to be women and/or men.
Not long after Zeam was born 17 years ago, I was beyond proud. I would go on and on about my only child. As the years have passed, family and friends would try to change the subject, but I would have none of that. Like many parents, I was convinced that my child was the greatest child in the world.
Oh brother. I think I (or we, or she, or they?) are going to be sick!
I really feel for this young adult, whether he or she. Louis Porter has failed as a parent, lamenting the societal pressures his child may face in the world. Yet clearly, the confusion and turmoil within his daughter should be cause for greater alarm, and yet he ignores these issues completely.
“My poor, black, transgendered child!” Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment