Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why We Read Newspapers, Why We Watch TV

"There but for the grace of God go I. . ."

This should be the state of grace for every believer.

Most of us read the papers or watch TV so we can sit back and shame those who have fallen from repute.

"At least I am not as bad as that guy," we tell ourselves.

In the Kingdom of Heaven, believers do not fall from grace, but they fall into grace:

People fall from grace when they try in their own efforts to accomplish something, when they try to fulfill God's law in their own strength:
"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5: 4)

Paul did nothing of himself, but relied on God living in Him through the Holy Spirit:

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

The same grace defends and promotes us when we face opposition or endure attacks:

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Corinthians 12: 9-10)

The press and media rely on shame, blame, and "defame" to make money, relying on the fallen interests of Old Adam, who from the moment he fell from grace, having partaken of the Forbidden Fruit in order to know the Law (Good and Evil), he attempted to cover his shame by his own efforts, then proceeded to blame his wife, who in turn blamed the serpent.

Man has this nasty propensity to turn away from our own inner depravity, in part because we cannot do anything about it, but more importantly because the deceit of sin discloses to man that his problems lie outside of himself, and the answers originate from within.

Jesus Christ came to be made sin, that we may lay on Him all our sin, all our failure, and even the sins and failures of others, so that God could be faithful and just restoring fallen man in risen Christ, where we receive life and that more abundantly.

Instead of reading the news or watching TV, read the Word of God and learn about the new reputation that you have in Christ, established in righteousness and abundance of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment