Friday, July 6, 2012

My Sister Remembered My Generosity

The small things in life, the good deeds that we do yet do not remember, these so inspire those close to us, yet we can so easily forget them if we are not careful.

Then again, the reason why they are so precious to others is that we did not see the need to remember what we did as anything import -- we just did what we did because it was the natural thing to do.

So my sister remembered my generosity one evening many years ago, when we found ourselves dining at the same restaurant as in years past.

We had just finished the meal, but we still needed to leave a tip. My sister had agreed to pay her share, as did I.

I found, however, that I had very little left to pay off the tip. I threw out all of my loose change, which came out to about two dollars. I left that for a tip, my widow's mite, since I had nothing left after that.

We were dining at the restaurant again a few months ago. She remembered my generosity that day. I had completely forgotten about it, and to this day I cannot remember having given my last penny as a tip for anything.

I am glad for the reminder, though. It bolsters the cause of unconscious holiness that every person exudes without exerting himself. Like stars who just are and shine from near to far, so shines any good deed, and the less we know about it, the better!

Thanks, Elizabeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment