Saturday, November 26, 2011

Response to "I Asked God"

I Asked God (author unknown)

This Poem betrays and denies all the covenant promises which God grants to all who believe on His Son Jesus Christ, that by the power of the Holy Spirit we may bear much fruit fitting and glorifying to the Father.

I have selected and implemented verses of Scripture to refute the notion that God impoverishes us in order to make us better, to discipline us, or even to make us holy. Such hateful insights are contrary to the Word of God -- no wonder so many people are convinced that receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is a smarmy fool's errand equipping people for nothing but loss and humiliation.

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.

I was made weak, that I might learn to obey.


"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)

I asked for health, that I might do greater things.

I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.


"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." (1 Peter 2:24)

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord" (James 5:16)

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.


"Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;" (1 Corinthians 3:22)

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3)

"Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you." ( 1 Corinthians 4:8)

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:!9)

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.


"10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10)

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

I got nothing that I asked for — but everything I had hoped for.

"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us" (1 John 5:14)

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment