Tuesday, November 29, 2011

He is Leading You -- Even When you Stray

In my walk with Christ, I trusted that I was saved, that I would go to heaven.

Still, I always assumed that I had to keep at least one eye open over myself, to catch myself in case I ever sinned.

I did not understand the full import of Romans 8:1:

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Only when I read Pastor Joseph Prince's book "Destined to Reign", that I learned that the second clause is superfluous, not to be found in the original manuscripts.

A better translation of that verse would read as follows:

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus." (New American Standard Version)

It has nothing, nothing at all to do with us! Our right, nay our righteous standing Christ has nothing to do with us at all - not our right thinking, speaking, or doing!

What role do we play, then, in our salvation?

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

"Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2: 8-9)

We believe, and from God the Father, by the death of His Son, through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, we receive all things (cf Romans 8:32)

So, it is not our doing, but our believing, which is the only way we can get anything, that He accomplishes all things through us!

Yet even if that were not enough for us, David in the Psalms speaks of the Lord's forever faithfulness:

"He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." (Psalm 23:3)

God restores our soul -- our mind, will, and emotions, a perfect example of Biblical "metanoia" mind-altering repentance. We then are led by His Spirit in the paths of righteousness.

In fact, the certainty of His leading is made all the more unshakable for us in Christ:

"For he [God the Father] hath made him [Christ Jesus] to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him [Christ!]." (2 Corinthians 5:21)

We are inseparable in Christ; or as Oswald Chambers most pointedly pointed out "We are the will of God!"

As the Spirit leads us, we have no desire to practice licentiousness, for we are under God's grace, and sin therefore has no dominion over us!

Still unsure of so great a certainty of our walk? Check out Psalm 139!

"If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."

Even in your worst moments, when it seems hell itself is about to swallow you up, God is there with you.

I was never full satisfied with that, though. I need a God who leads me, not just lets me fail, and watched me fall.

Psalm 139 speaks to this concern!

"If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

"Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me."

Just when we think that we could even outrun God, behold -- He has been leading us the whole time!

Let's return to Psalm 23 for another example of where our errancy can still leave us led in His perfect will for us:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

His rod beats away the bad elements. His rod keeps us righteously in line with Him1

Beloved, we cannot be lost! We cannot get away from Him. His grip is firmly on you forever!

"Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." (Isaiah 49:16)

This wonderful, eternal embrace Jesus emphasizes for us in the gospels:

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." (John 10:29)

This sentiment must have stirred Jesus' listeners mightily, for they had heard this promise before, from the prophets of old:

"Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?" (Isaiah 43:13)

Believe on Him, receive from Him, let Him take you where He wishes by the peaceful power of the Holy Spirit. You cannot lose! You can never be lost, for you are forever in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment